Public Health System
Mission and History of the NC Public Health System
- What does state law say about the purpose and mission of the North Carolina public health system?
- What is the history of North Carolina's public health system?
Overview of the NC Public Health System
- "Public Health," County and Municipal Government in North Carolina, 2006, (Moore) (read-only)
- "Medical Examiners," County and Municipal Government in North Carolina, 2006 (Wall) (read-only)
- Individual chapters from County and Municipal Government in North Carolina may be purchased in PDF format from the School of Government at http://www.sog.unc.edu/pubs/cmg.
- Comparing North Carolina's Local Public Health Agencies: The Legal Landscape, the Perspectives, and the Numbers (Final Report, May 2013)
Local Public Health Agencies
- Map of Local Public Health Agencies in North Carolina (This document is updated periodically. Please note the date on the document you retrieve.)
- Introduction to Local Public Health Services in North Carolina (Moore, updated July 2013)
- Questions and Answers about NC Local Public Health Agencies (May 2013)
Local Boards of Health
- Questions and Answers about NC Local Boards of Health (May 2013)
- Health Law Bulletin: The Rulemaking Authority of North Carolina Boards of Health (Wall, 2003)
- On-line training: The Board of Health Rulemaking Authority: A Primer for Local Boards of Health, by Aimee Wall in collaboration with the NC Institute for Public Health at the UNC School of Public Health [revised version in production]