Legal Basics for Human Services Directors and Administrators
Directors, administrators, and managers of public human services agencies are faced with complex decisions every day that require them to have a solid understanding of the law. This course is designed to provide leaders in local public health; social services; and mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse services with an introduction to key areas of North Carolina law.
During the first two days of the program, topics will include
- employment law
- liability of public agencies, officials, and employees
- budgeting and financial laws and practices
- public records and open meetings
- conflicts of interest
- purchasing and contracting
In addition, the two-day agenda will include concurrent sessions tailored for the different human services agencies. These sessions will address foundational topics such as agency roles and responsibilities, governance, and confidentiality.
On the morning of the third day, participants will have the opportunity to participate in a budget simulation workshop that uses Bottom Line!, SOG’s engaging new learning tool. Working in small groups, participants act as county commissioners who must work together to make decisions about the services and programs the county will provide. Workshop participants will be able to:
- understand the economic forces that are changing the way local government leaders think about their budgets
- explore the role of values in shaping a community’s vision and how such values may or may not guide budget decisions
- understand the complexity of group problem-solving as it relates to budgeting
- analyze possible short- and long-term consequences of budgetary decisions
Participants interested in joining the Bottom Line! Budget Exercise will need to pay an additional registration fee of $90.
Information about the Bottom Line! Budget Exercise
The course is designed for directors, supervisors, and managers in all three human services agencies.
- Health directors, assistant directors, nurse supervisors, and environmental health supervisors
- Social services directors, assistant directors, program managers, and supervisors
- LME directors, assistant directors, operations administrators, board/CFAC liaisons.
Others are also welcome to attend, including attorneys who represent public human services agencies and board members. Enrollment for the first two days of the program will be limited to 80 participants. Enrollment in the Bottom Line! workshop will be limited to 40 participants.
12.25 CLE credits have been awarded by the NC State Bar for this 2-day workshop
12.25 RS credits have been awarded by the NC State Board of EHSE
School of Government
300 South Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
All cancellations must be submitted in writing, as outlined in the School's cancellation policy. No cancellation or refund is available for online courses and modules.