Ethics for Local Elected Officials Live and On Demand Webinars
This webinar must be watched on or before October 31st. There are no online ethics trainings beginning November as you would be out of compliance.
Attorneys must purchase in their own name separately in order to claim 2 hours of General CLE Credit
This is the webpage for the yearly Live and On Demand Ethics training for local elected city and county governing board members. This webinar satisfies the local ethics training required by state law for elected and appointed members of city councils and county boards of commissioners.
The LIVE webinar takes place every May and becomes available to purhase around March of each year. (Dates Vary) The fee is $125 per viewing location.
The ON DEMAND webinar is available for purchase beginning every June. You have until October 31st to watch it. After that, the next online opportunity will be the following May again. The fee is $125 per unit. When purchasing the live or on demand ethics webinar, you do not have to purchase seperately for each member of your unit as the registration cart suggests. it is one purchase per unit. see the instructions below on who/how to purhase.
In 2009 the North Carolina General Assembly passed legislation that requires local governing boards to adopt a code of ethics and requires board members to receive 2 clock hours of ethics training within 12 months of each election and re election, as well as appointment and reappointment, to local office.
The School of Government is offering this live webinar as an easy way for elected officials to fulfill this legal requirement. All you need is a computer with internet access.
For other ethics training opportunities for local elected officials, follow the link www.sog.unc.edu/programs/ethics where you will find related statutes, FAQ's, model codes of ethics, relevent blog posts, publications, and links to contacts at the School of Government
What you need to know before you purchase
Webinars are non refundable once purchased so please purchase carefully
This webinar satisfies the legally required local ethics training for elected and appointed members of city councils and county boards of commissioners.
A. What this training does NOT satisfy:
Individuals serving on state boards subject to the State Government Ethics Act (SGEA).
Local elected officials who also serve on a state board that is subject to the State Government Ethics Act (SGEA), including local community college boards, are required to take ethics training that is offered through the State Ethics Commission. The SOG ethics-training program for local elected officials does NOT satisfy the state ethics training, and the state ethics training does NOT satisfy the local elected official ethics-training which is offered through this page. Consequently, local elected officials who also serve on a state board subject to the SGEA, must take both the state and the local ethics training programs. Officials who need to complete state ethics training should:
- Contact their ethics liaison for training, or
- Complete the online training available on State Ethic Commission website: (http://www.ethicscommission.nc.gov/education/default.aspx)
Local ABC Boards: For individuals who serve on a local ABC board, there is a separate training required. The SOG ethics-training program for local elected officials does NOT satisfy the local ABC Board training, and the local ABC Board training does NOT satisfy the local elected official ethics-training which is offered through this page.. Here is the link to the webinar page for local ABC Boards. http://www.sog.unc.edu/Node/30286
School Boards: Please contact your School Board Association for further information.
B. How to purchase
You can purchase the on demand webinar once for your unit. It does not have to be purchased seperately for each person as the shopping cart indicates. It can be watched multiple times until October 31st. The person coordinating the webinar should be the one to purchase it in his/her name and email. The reason is that the access link to the webinar is auto generated to the email used to purchase the webinar. Please note: Attorneys wanting CLE credit must purchase the webinar separately in their own name.
Click on the purchase button to begin. If you need a receipt, make sure you print the confirmation page at the end of the purchase process. Issues with purchasing? If you have problems with the registration/purchase process, passwords, logging in, you will need to email the registration department directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide your phone number and brief summary of your issue and someone from that department will contact you shortly.
NOTE to Attorneys wanting CLE Credit: Attorneys must purchase the webinar separately in their own name. This webinar is approved for 2 hours of general CLE credit (not professional responsibility credit).
A note to boards- Boards are advised to give special meeting notice for ethics training sessions if a majority of the board might be in attendance at the event. This is in keeping with the spirit of the ethics law, and out of an abundance of caution concerning the legal requirements for board meetings.
What you need to know after you purchase the webinar
How you get the access link to view the webinar:
You will receive an auto generated email (from email@example.com) shortly after you complete your purchase. This email will contain the link to view the webinar.
This webinar will be broadcast over the Internet. You need a computer, a hard line high-speed Internet connection (wireless is NOT recommended), speakers, Acrobat Adobe Reader, and Adobe Flash Media Player. Wireless is not recommended for several reasons, mostly because speed and sound can be slow.
If showing to a large group, we recommend using a projector, speakers and a screen (or blank wall). We also recommend connecting and testing the speakers to ensure you have enough volume if you are showing in a larger room.
1. Test your software at this link: https://na1cps.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm#Meeting You may receive a message that the Adobe Connect add-in is not installed. This is normal, and can be safely ignored if the first three tests were successful.
2. Verify you have Adobe Acrobat Reader at this link https://itd.sog.unc.edu/faq/how-can-i-tell-if-adobe-reader-installed-my-computer This allows you to open the verification and CLE forms at the end of the webinar
Common problems to troubleshoot
Below are the links to the related materials for the webinar
- Legal Summary
- Blog Posts Compilation
- Script and Poll Questions
- Ethics Voting Guide
- Conflicts and Gifts Decision Tree
- PDF of the Presentation
Ethics Verification and CLE Forms
You must be present during the webinar to access these forms. During the webinar, you will receive instructions on how to save these forms to your desktop and/or print them. If you exit out of the webinar before saving your forms to your desktop, you will not be able to access them again. The links to these forms are imbedded in the webinar. The School of Government does not have these forms.
What to do after I save the forms and print them?
- Ethics Verification Form- the elected official fills out the top and bottom portion. One part goes to the clerk for record keeping and the other part stays with the elected official. Do NOT send this form to the School of Government
- CLE Form-This course has been pre approved for 2 hours of general CLE credit (not Professional Responsibility credit). Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 days of watching. I will reply to your email with a confirmation of receipt. If you do not get a reply from me, then I did not receive your form.
D. Instructions for those watching the webinar
An access link and instructions were sent to the person who purchased the webinar. If someone purchased the webinar for you, please contact that person for the access link and instructions.
1. Make make sure you see the materials in the above section
2. Make sure you do the computer testing from the instructions above
3. Make sure you read over how to get the verification forms
- Having technical difficulties?
- Check here first for troubleshooting help-http://itd.sog.unc.edu/faq/where-do-i-go-webinar-technical-support.
- If you are still having trouble- call the School of Government helpdesk at 919.962.5487. Please remember that if it is an issue on your end, you may need to contact someone in your organization to assist.
All elected officials of North Carolina cities, counties, unified governments, sanitary districts, and consolidated city-counties.
All cancellations must be submitted in writing, as outlined in the School's cancellation policy. No cancellation or refund is available for online courses and modules.