Ethics for Municipal Elected Officials Live Webinar
May 14, 2014 10:00 am-12:00 pm
Attention Attorneys: Attorneys must purchase in their own name separately in order to claim 2 hours of General CLE Credit
This live webinar is for all local elected officials of North Carolina cities, counties, unified governments, sanitary districts, and consolidated city-counties.
If you are looking for the On Demand Ethics Webinar that you can watch at your leisure, do not purchase this LIVE webinar. The On Demand webinar will be available for purchase at this same webpage Mid June 2014 and will be available to purchase and view until the end of October 2014. Look for the LIVE webinar information to be updated with the ON DEMAND webinar information. The price of the On Demand webinar is $125 for your unit.
In 2009 the North Carolina General Assembly passed legislation that requires local governing boards to adopt a code of ethics and requires board members to receive 2 clock hours of ethics training within 12 months of each election and re election, as well as appointment and reappointment, to local office.
The School of Government is offering this live webinar as an easy way for elected officials to fulfill this legal requirement. All you need is a computer with internet access.
For other ethics training opportunities for local elected officials, follow the link www.sog.unc.edu/programs/ethics for:
other 2014 training opportunities, related statutes, FAQ's, model codes of ethics, relevent blog posts and publications, links to contacts at the School of Government
Please read Prior to purchasing this webinar
Webinars are non refundable once purchased so please purchase carefully
Who is NOT covered by this ethics training:
For individuals covered under the State Government Ethics Act (SGEA), including local officials who serve on a RPO or MPO, this SOG ethics-training program does NOT satisfy the mandatory ethics training required under SGEA, and the SGEA ethics program does NOT satisfy the local elected official ethics-training requirement. Consequently, local elected officials who are also covered by the SGEA, including those who serve on a RPO or MPO, must take both training programs. Covered persons needing to complete SGEA training should:
- Contact their ethics liaison for training, or
- Complete the online training available on State Ethic Commission website: (http://www.ethicscommission.nc.gov/education/default.aspx)
To Purchase this Ethics Training
You can purchase the live webinar once and show it to a group of people. The person coordinating the webinar should be the one to purchase it in his/her name and email. (Attorneys wanting CLE credit must purchase the webinar separately in their own name).
Click on the purchase button to begin. If you need a receipt, make sure you print the confirmation page at the end of the purchase process. If you have problems with the registration/purchase process, passwords, logging in, you will need to email the registration department directly at email@example.com. Provide your phone number and brief summary of your issue and someone from that department will contact you shortly.
NOTE to Attorneys wanting CLE Credit: This webinar is approved for 2 hours of general CLE credit (not professional responsibility credit). Attorneys must purchase the webinar separately in their own name.
A note to boards- Boards are advised to give special meeting notice for ethics training sessions if a majority of the board might be in attendance at the event. This is in keeping with the spirit of the ethics law, and out of an abundance of caution concerning the legal requirements for board meetings.
This webinar will be broadcast over the Internet. You need a computer, a hard line high-speed Internet connection (wireless is NOT recommended), speakers, Acrobat Adobe Reader, and Adobe Flash Media Player. Wireless is not recommended for several reasons, mostly because speed and sound can be slow.
If showing to a large group, we recommend using a projector, speakers and a screen (or blank wall). We also recommend connecting and testing the speakers to ensure you have enough volume if you are showing in a larger room.
1. Test your software at this link: https://unc.ncgovconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm You may receive a message that the Adobe Connect add-in is not installed. This is normal, and can be safely ignored if the first three tests were successful.
2. Verify you have Adobe Acrobat Reader at this link https://itd.sog.unc.edu/faq/how-can-i-tell-if-adobe-reader-installed-my-computer This allows you to open the verification and CLE forms at the end of the webinar
Common problems to troubleshoot
Wednesday, May 7th
The webinar access link will be sent to the person who purchased the webinar on May 7th. If it is not in your inbox, please check your spam and/or Junk email folders. Emails with hyperlinks tend to end up in spam/junk folders. It will be an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If the email is not in your junk/spam folder, please contact Susan at email@example.com with an alternate email address and we will resend the information.
Materials -will be available May 7th
Day of Webinar
You may log in beginning at 9:45 am, May 14th. An access link and instructions were sent to the person who purchased the webinar on May 7th. If someone purchased the webinar for you, please contact that person for the access link and instructions.
- Having technical difficulties?-call the School of Government helpdesk at 919.962.5487.
Ethics Verification and CLE Forms
You must be present during the webinar to access these forms. During the webinar, you will receive instructions on how to save these forms to your desktop and/or print them. If you exit out of the webinar before saving your forms to your desktop, you will not be able to access them again. The links to these forms are imbedded in the webinar. The School of Government does not have these forms.
What to do after I save the forms and print them?
- Ethics Verification Form- the elected official fills out the top and bottom portion. One part goes to the clerk for record keeping and the other part stays with the elected official. Do NOT send this form to the School of Government
- CLE Form-This course has been pre approved for 2 hours of general CLE credit (not Professional Responsibility credit). Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, May 30th. I will reply to your email with a confirmation of receipt. If you do not get a reply from me, then I did not receive your form. After the May 30th deadline, you will need to contact the NC Bar directly for instructions on getting CLE credit.
All elected officials of North Carolina cities, counties, unified governments, sanitary districts, and consolidated city-counties.
All cancellations must be submitted in writing, as outlined in the School's cancellation policy. No cancellation or refund is available for online courses and modules.