Ethics for Local Elected Officials Live and On Demand Webinars
May 20, 2015 10:00 am-12:00 pm
Fee-$125-Webinars are non refundable once purchased
Attorneys must purchase in their own name separately in order to claim 2 hours of General CLE Credit
The On Demand Webinar will be available to purchase from this page mid June
This is the webpage for the yearly Live and On Demand Ethics training for local elected city and county governing board members. These webinars satisfy the 2 clock hours of local ethics training required by state law for elected and appointed members of city councils and county boards of commissioners. This training is required to be completed within 12 months of election day and is required every time they are elected, re-elected or appointed to a local office.
The LIVE webinar is $125 for your whole board and takes place every May. You can purchase it in March of each year from this page. You will also receive the On Demand Webinar at no additional charge when you purchase the Live webinar. See instructions further down this page.
The ON DEMAND webinar is $125 for your whole board and can be purchased separately from the Live webinar. You may purchase and watch this webinar beginning every June through October 31st. The On Demand webinar can be watched as many times as needed and from any desktop. After October 31st, the next online opportunity will be the following May again.
Additional Ethics Training-follow the Link www.sog.unc.edu/programs/ethics
where you also find related statutes, FAQ's, model codes of ethics, relevent blog posts, publications, and links to contacts at the School of Government
What you need to know before you purchase
A. Webinars are non-refundable once purchased so purchase carefully
B. Who this training does NOT cover:
Individuals serving on state boards subject to the State Government Ethics Act (SGEA): Local elected officials who also serve on a state board that is subject to the State Government Ethics Act (SGEA), including local community college boards, are required to take ethics training that is offered through the State Ethics Commission. The SOG ethics-training program for local elected officials does NOT satisfy the state ethics training, and the state ethics training does NOT satisfy the local elected official ethics-training which is offered through this page. Consequently, local elected officials who also serve on a state board subject to the SGEA, must take both the state and the local ethics training programs. Officials who need to complete state ethics training should:
- Contact their ethics liaison for training, or
- Complete the online training available on State Ethic Commission website: (http://www.ethicscommission.nc.gov/education/default.aspx)
Local ABC Boards: For individuals who serve on a local ABC board, there is a separate training required. The SOG ethics-training program for local elected officials does NOT satisfy the local ABC Board training, and the local ABC Board training does NOT satisfy the local elected official ethics-training. Here is the link to the webinar page for local ABC Boards. http://www.sog.unc.edu/Node/30286
School Boards: Please contact your School Board Association for further information.
C. A note to boards:
Boards are advised to give special meeting notice for ethics training sessions if a majority of the board might be in attendance at the event. This is in keeping with the spirit of the ethics law, and out of an abundance of caution concerning the legal requirements for board meetings.
Purchasing the Webinar
A. Who should purchase from your unit:
- The person coordinating the webinar should be the one to purchase it in his/her name. This person will be responsble for receiving the access link which is sent to the email address used to purchase the webinars. It will be up to this person to communicate and/or complete the WEBINAR PREPARATION CHECKLIST section section further down this page.
- Is your board attorney watching the webinar? The NCBar requires attorneys on your board who wish to claim CLE (Continuing Legal Education) credit to purchase the webinar separately in their name. These webinars are pre approved for your attorneys to claim 2 hours of General CLE credit (not Professional Responsibility Credit).
- Do you have to purchase the webinars for each person watching from your board? No. Purchase the webinar one time for your unit. (except for attorneys noted above). Our shopping cart indicates you should purchase a course separately for each person attending. This does not apply to these webinars.
- Adding email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts will increase the chance of the email getting through.
Click on the purchase button in the upper right blue box on this page to begin. If you need a receipt, make sure you print the confirmation page at the end of the purchase process. Our registration department can also provide a receipt/invoice if you need one.
Issues with purchasing? Simply email our registration department directly at email@example.com for issues with the registration/purchase process, passwords, or logging in. Provide your phone number and brief summary of your issue and someone from that department will contact you shortly. This is the fastest way to get assistance as there are multiple people in that department who can respond to you quickly.
To be reviewed/completed at least 1-2 weeks prior to the LIVE webinar or 3-5 days prior to viewing the On Demand webinar. Click on the following link: PREPARATION CHECKLIST
All elected officials of North Carolina cities, counties, unified governments, sanitary districts, and consolidated city-counties.
All cancellations must be submitted in writing, as outlined in the School's cancellation policy. No cancellation or refund is available for online courses and modules.