A Guide to Promising Asset-Building Programs for Communities and Individuals on the Economic Margin
The Building Assets for the Rural Future guide was completed in June 2010 with funding from the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center. This web guide features more than 80 promising approaches to asset-building in distressed rural communities. The approaches were identified through a “snow-balling” process that involved a literature review and over 120 interviews with practitioners, academics, policymakers, and foundation leaders. The programs highlighted in this guide were widely mentioned as promising examples of how communities are identifying, developing, protecting, and leveraging the assets within their communities.
Explore the web guide based on your community’s unique assets
Start with the expandable table of contents below, or use the navigation bar on the left. Think about the assets that your community offers and browse the promising programs in the report. As you examine a specific tactic, you’ll see the “Asset Focus” of that tactic appears in the margin on the right. Click on any “Asset Focus” that interests you or applies especially well to your community in order to see more programs that focus on that asset.
Share your feedback and learn from others
Where a name and contact person is listed under “Learn More,” that person agreed, at the time the report was first published, to answer questions from the public about the program listed in the report. Over time, organizations will change and some of the links in the footnotes will no longer work, but the ideas in this guide will persist. The original report was written with the assistance of researcher Lisa Stifler, but additional links and resources continue to be added from time to time. I hope that the strategies and tactics described here will prove useful as you spark creativity in your own community.
C. Tyler Mulligan
UNC School of Government
RURAL FINANCIAL ASSETS
Improve Financial Resilience
- Harness Rural Local Philanthropy for the Future
- Encourage Mainstream Banking for the Unbanked and Under-banked
- Provide Financial Education, Counseling & Coaching
- Turn Tax Refunds into Savings through Free or Inexpensive Tax Preparation for the Working Poor
- Sponsor Individual Development Accounts & Child Development Accounts
- Control Expenses Related to Personal Vehicles
- Apply Asset-Building Principles to Traditional Economic Development
- Improve Financial Resilience
- RURAL NATURAL RESOURCES AND FEATURES
RURAL BUILT ASSETS AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- Secure Competitive Community Infrastructure
- Maximize the Asset-Building Potential of Low-Income Homeownership
- RURAL HUMAN, SOCIAL, AND CULTURAL ASSETS