Print and Online Resources
James L. Creighton. 2005. The Public Participation Handbook: Making Better Decisions through Citizen Involvement. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (A Wiley Imprint).
Gastil, John, and Peter Levine, (eds.). 2005. The Deliberative Democracy Handbook: Strategies for Effective Civic Engagement in the 21st Century. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Paul D. Epstein, Paul M. Coates, Lyle D. Wray (with David Swain). 2006. Results that Matter: Improving Communities by Engaging Citizens, Measuring Performance and Getting Things Done. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Desmond M. Connor. 1988. "A New Ladder of Citizen Participation," National Civic Review 77:3 (May 1988). pp. 249-57.
International City/County Management Association (ICMA) books and guides
- Citizens Academies (October 2011)
- Social Media - Citizen Participation
- International Association for Public Participation
- National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation
- Collaborative Democracy Network
- Deliberative Democracy Network
- League of California Cities, Institute for Local Government – Collaborative Governance
- League of California Cities, Institute for Local Government - Public hearings