Basic Principles of Local Government Purchasing
October 13-16, 2015
*****NOTE NEW DATES****
This May 2015 class has been rescheduled for the above dates in October 2015
**For questions regarding registration, resetting passwords, or login issues, please email Registration at email@example.com.**
This course is designed for new local government purchasing officials and covers basic principles and legal requirements for local government purchasing. Topics include:
- Competitive bidding requirements for purchasing and construction contracting
- Purchasing ethics and conflicts of interest
- Practical skills such as vendor relations, developing specifications, & bid solicitations
- Purchasing policies and electronic bidding
- Decision analysis, motivational strategies, and effective communications
- Local government law overview, including open meetings and public records
- Budgeting and fiscal control
- Surplus property disposal
- Tips for success from experienced local government purchasing professionals
- And More!
Purchasing officials with less than two years of experience in governmental purchasing.
The course includes 26 continuing education hours and is a required core course for the CLGPO (Certified Local Government Purchasing Officer) certification.
LGFCU-SCHOOL OF GOVERNMENTSCHOLARSHIP (April 1, Aug 1, Dec 1)
The next deadline for School of Government course scholarships from Local Government Federal Credit Union is August 1, December 1, April 1. These scholarships will cover all or part of the tuition for any SOG course, seminar or workshop. Scholarship applicants must be LGFCU members.
LGFCU offers this program to help nurture the career development of its members who are employed in local government in North Carolina. Awards are made three times each year, or until funds (up to $50,000 annually) are expended. Applications are accepted throughout the year, with deadlines of April 1, August 1, and December 1—so advance planning is helpful.
For information and a copy of the application, visit: https://www.lgfcu.org/benefits-and-services/scholarships/sog-scholarship.
Lectures and case studies
Required: (1) North Carolina Local Government: An Introduction (online module) and (2) Basic Local Government Contracting and Procurement (online module)
Registrants will receive a link to view these modules when they register.
Meeting Location: Knapp-Sanders Building, UNC School of Government
6121 Farrington Rd
Chapel HIll, NC 27517
- Rate - $84.00
- Booking Code to Use - LGP
- Free WiFi and Buffet Breakfast
- Deadline to book - September 30, 2015
- Hotel Cancel Policy - 4pm day of arrival
Course participants who cancel their registration on or before September 29, 2015 will receive a full refund. Those who cancel on or before October 6, 2015 will receive a full refund, less a $25 cancellation fee. No refund will be made for cancellations made after October 6, 2015. All cancellations must be submitted in writing, as outlined in the School's cancellation policy.