About the School of Government
The Institute of Government was founded in 1931 by UNC law professor Albert Coates. In 2001, the University created the School of Government, which encompasses the work of the former Institute of Government. Learn more about the School's history.
Faculty and staff
The School of Government employs 45 full-time faculty and more than 60 staff members in research, management, and administrative positions. Visit the online faculty and staff directory.
Up to 200 classes, seminars, schools, and specialized conferences serve more than 12,000 elected and appointed officials in North Carolina every year. Learn more about the educational programs offered by the School of Government.
Faculty members field thousands of inquiries each year from government officials across the state. These requests for assistance include brief phone or e-mail conversations to clarify legal or management questions as well as longer-term help with large projects.
Research and publications
The School’s faculty members publish approximately 50 books, book chapters, bulletins, articles, and professional journals each year covering a wide range of public issues and new state legislation. Visit the Publications website.
The Master of Public Administration program enrolls up to 60 students annually and is ranked 6th nationally among graduate programs teaching city management by U.S. News & World Report. To learn more about the MPA program, visit www.mpa.unc.edu.
School of Government
Knapp-Sanders Building, Campus Box 3330
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3330
The Visitor Information page provides driving directions to the Knapp-Sanders Building, as well as parking information.