This site is intended primarily to provide information and assistance to North Carolina communities interested in investigating and seeking incorporation as towns, but anyone interested in the subject is welcome to use the site. The site includes these features, each of which can be reached by the menu on the left side of this page:
- The latest edition of the School of Government guidebook, Incorporation of a North Carolina Town, is available for viewing or purchase. The guidebook explains the incorporation process, sets out alternatives to incorporation, discusses the revenues available to towns, and discusses the responsibilities of towns and the initial steps that must be taken once a town is incorporated.
- A link to an article on incorporation, disincorporation, and annexation that is part of the School of Government publication County and Municipal Government in North Carolina. The article may be viewed on line or may be purchased.
- A set of documents prepared for distribution to communities interested in incorporation by the Joint Legislative Commission on Municipal Incorporation. Most incorporation proposals are submitted to the Joint Commission.
- A listing of all communities incorporated in North Carolina since 1991.
- A listing of all communities proposed for incorporation in the 2007 General Assembly.
- A template that a community can use to project expenditures and revenues based on different anticipated service levels of a new town.
- A set of links to sources of information on prospective town revenues.
- A list of individuals and organizations available to answer questions not answered in the materials on the website.