NC Planning Listserv
The NC Planning listserv allows planners to communicate through e-mail. There are over 1,300 subscribers on on this electronic mailing list. If you subscribe, you can send e-mail messages to all other subscribing members, and you will receive copies of any messages sent by other subscribing members.
The NC PLAN list is open and unmoderated. No one approves the messages before they are sent out to members. Participation is open to anyone, although the focus of the discussion and most of the participants are professional planners working in the state of North Carolina.
Free, full, unedited, unexpurgated exchange of ideas is a central feature of this list. All ideas, questions, and comments are welcome, even when they are divergent from the mainstream. Requests for information, passing along articles and sites to explore, and other information exchange are also welcome and are likewise a critical function for the group.
Those making posts and responding to posts are also encouraged to remember that your postings to the list go to all members (now over 1,300 active subscribers). Please use individual messages and responses when you have a personal message to send.
Subscribe. You can subscribe to the list by clicking this link: subscribe . Fill in the fields with the following information:
- email address: email@example.com
- name: My Full Name
- List name: NCPlan
Unsubscribe. There are two ways to unsubscribe from list. One, you can unscribe immediately online. For instructions on how to do this, click this link: Unsubscribing via email . Alternatively, you can, send an unsubscribe message to SOG's list coordinator.
Posting. To post a message, question, or announcement, send an e-mail message to: <NCPlan@listserv.unc.edu >
Listserv Courtesy. The School of Government hosts this listserv. Here are some user points the School has found to enhance the value of a listserv.
- Please remember that messages posted to the listserv are public record and are subject to public inspection.
- Please send personal messages for individuals directly to those individuals, rather than to the entire list.
- Please refrain from sending content unrelated to the listserv's purpose. Such messages can discourage others from reading the listserv regularly and diminish its usefulness.
- Please compose your message in a way that's helpful to readers. Examples are using a descriptive subject line that immediately identifies your topic and writing text with a succinct, complete description of the question you are posing or the information you are sharing.
- If you ask for information and get a good deal sent to you individually, please compile the responses and post the results so others won't have to ask the same question later. If you are responding to a query that may have broad interest, please chose the "Reply to All" option so that your response will go to all list members.
- While some discomfort is an inevitable part of a free exchange of thought, personal invective, slurs, and ad hominem attacks are not to be posted to this list. Posters need to be responsible for their messages, so anonymous postings are not allowed.
- Messages should address planning issues and concerns. Commercial advertising, junk mail, political endorsements, and postings on other than planning issues and concerns should not be posted to this list. In the unlikely event a list member fails to observe these standards, they are subject to be removed from the list and offending messages may be deleted.
Options for Delivery of Messages. Subscribers have several options for receiving messages posted to the list, ranging from receiving each message as it is sent to getting a single email per day with a list of all submissions. For information on how to select among these options, click this link: Membership Setting Options.
Search past posts. You can search past posts to this listserve. Click this link: Search NC Plan posts. Note that this page also has an "advance search" option for more focused searches.