Development FAQ

Expand All
Collapse All


What can I give to at the School of Government?

The School of Government depends on private gifts and revenue from courses, publications, and service contracts for approximately half of its operating needs. Private gifts are increasingly important. You may direct your gift to programs or projects that you are interested in, to an endowment such as a professorship or scholarship, or leave its use unrestricted so the School may use it for current priorities or pressing needs. You will find more detail on giving options in the section entitled Where You Can Help as well as in the drop-down box of options under the credit card gift section of Make A Gift.

How much do I have to give?

A gift in any dollar amount directly benefits the School of Government and is most appreciated. A recommended minimum gift is $35 and a gift of $1,000 or more entitles the donor to membership in the Dean's Club. By making a gift, you show your support of the School's mission to support good government throughout North Carolina.

Where will my gift make the greatest difference?

Your gift makes a difference wherever it is used. If you have special interest in a particular area of the School, chances are there is a way to direct your gift to support it. If you do not have a special interest area, General Fund gifts are valuable because they strengthen the School's operations and provide flexible funds to support new programs, projects, and faculty research. Our team of experienced development staff members work closely with others at the School to determine funding priorities and then match donor interestes with those priorities. We can help you understand the options and structure a gift that will meet your charitable and financial objectives.

What are the different ways to make a gift?

There are a variety of methods you can use to make a gift—cash, check, credit card, pledge, bank draft, gifts of stock, gifts of real estate and personal property, and planned gifts. If you have any questions or find some of the options confusing, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the Development staff. We will be glad to help.

Can I give anonymously?

Yes. If you prefer not to be recognized by name in the School’s honor roll or other publications, you may request that your gift remain anonymous. Simply indicate this preference when making your online gift or when using the downloadable form.

Can I spread my gift over a period of time?

Of course. Making a pledge over several years can enable you to make a significant gift without the requirement to pay it all at once. Pledges can be made using the downloadable gift form or online giving option in the Make a Gift section on this website. You may also send a letter to the School’s Development office explaining what you wish to give to, what the dollar amount of total pledge is, and how you wish to structure the installment payments (for example, $xxx per year over three years). It is helpful to pay the first year’s installment at the time the pledge is made.

Can I make the School a beneficiary in my will, estate, trust, or retirement fund?

Yes. Your planned gift to the School of Government will help us continue to fulfill our mission of serving North Carolina's public officials and citizens. Donors become members of the University's Gerrard Society, which recognizes friends who have made a commitment to the future through a documented planned gift. For information on the many ways to make a planned gift, visit the University's planned giving website or contact contact Becky Carter, development administrator, at 919.843.2556 or

How do I make an honorary or memorial gift?

You may honor a loved one, colleague, mentor, or friend by making a special gift to the School of Government. Using either the online (credit card) or the check/pledge option in Make A Gift, you will find an opportunity to specify a memorial or honorary gift. The School also offers personalized brick pavers for its main walkway and brass plaques for the Wall of Honor in the Coates Garden. These provide permanent memorial or honorary options at the Knapp-Sanders Building. For information on ordering bricks and plaques, please contact Becky Carter in the Development Office at 919.843.2556 or

Is my gift to the School tax-deductible?

Yes. Gifts to the School of Government and the School of Government Foundation are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law. Both are qualified as tax-exempt organizations by the IRS under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. After making a gift, you will automatically receive a receipt for your tax files from the university development office. A member of the School's development team would be happy to answer additional questions and provide our tax-exempt information if needed.

What is a corporate matching gift program and how does it work?

Many companies will match their employees’ gifts to charitable institutions, which can double or triple the impact of your gift to the School. Your company’s Human Resources department will be able to tell you if your company has a matching gifts program.