Office of Business and Finance


Travel reimbursements and arrangements are managed by the UNC Travel Office. The UNC Travel Guide provides an overview of processes for most University business travel. For detailed information and guidance on booking travel, submitting travel reimbursements, using the Concur Travel system, understanding university policy, and more, please visit the Travel Office Web Page



  • The University encourages using a state-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract. If a vehicle is not available, travelers should use the least expensive method of transportation available to meet their business needs.
  • Rental vehicles should be reserved through the State's contract with EHI.
  • Reservations may be made online, via Concur Travel, or directly with the agents at World Travel, Inc.
  • Charge to T&E Card or pay out-of-pocket.
  • If a personal vehicle is used, see the Travel Allowances, Mileage and Per Diem Rates web page for mileage reimbursement rates.
  • Save gas receipts (rental vehicles only) and parking receipts (personal and rental vehicles) for reconciliation of T&E Card expenses or reimbursement.

REGISTRATION | Conferences and Continued Learning

  • Charge to T&E Card or departmental P-Card.
  • Optional activities not included in conference registration are not reimbursable.

LODGING | Hotels

  • May only be booked if location is +35 miles from traveler's home.
  • Travelers are encouraged to take advantage of negotiated lodging rates, when available. If the traveler does not have access to negotiated lodging rates, they are encouraged to book online via Concur Travel or directly with the agents at World Travel, Inc.
  • Book on T&E Card or personal credit card. Check with the business office for direct billing whenever possible.
  • Guidance on allowable rates, including high-cost cities, can be found in Procedure 1502.1.
  • Save itemized receipt “Folio” and submit when trip is completed.

LODGING | Third Party Vendors (e.g., Airbnb, VRBO)

  • Requires pre-travel authorization.
  • Once approved, the traveler is responsible for booking accommodation and signing the lease.

World Travel, Inc. supports all travel reservations made online via Concur Travel as well as reservations made directly with their designated team of agents.
World Travel, Inc.
877.602.4950 Outside the US: 484.948.2535 uncch_travel@worldtravelinc.com



  • Submit reimbursements within 30 days of completing trip. All travel should be booked using a T&E card, if available, or booking & reimbursements will be processed through the Concur Travel system. Contact the Business Office for help using this system.
  • Receipts are not required when per diem rates apply (e.g., meals). Eligible per diems are determined by travel times and overnight stays. Meals are not reimbursed for day trips.
  • Keep all other trip or business-related receipts, including out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Meal per diem rates include the cost of the meal, sales tax and tip. Other tips (e.g., car service) should be reasonable and responsible.
  • Lost receipts can only be reimbursed up to $20 with explanation memo or lost receipt affidavit.
  • Submit conference agenda, if applicable, with reimbursement request to ensure refund approval.